FAITH HUNTER writes bestselling dark urban fantasy: Skinwalker series, featuring Jane Yellowrock—Skinwalker, Blood Cross, Mercy Blade, Raven Cursed, Death’s Rival & Blood Trade. Rogue Mage, a post-apocalyptic, alternate reality series, features Thorn St. Croix, a stone.
Blog ☆ Website ☆ Pinterest ☆ Goodreads ☆ Twitter ☆ Facebook
When Evan Trueblood blows into town looking for his wife, Molly, he’s convinced that she came to see her best friend, Jane. But it seems like the witch made it to New Orleans and then disappeared without a trace.
Jane is ready to do whatever it takes to find her friend. Her desperate search leads her deep into a web of black magic and betrayal and into the dark history between vampires and witches. But the closer she draws to Molly, the closer she draws to a new enemy—one who is stranger and more powerful than any she has ever faced.
Adapted from a Bitten By Books interview of 2012
I am big-cat. I am Beast. Beast is not prey. (Looks at reader. Reader understands prey and Beast.) This is good.
I go where Jane goes, on Bitsa, her Harley-bike. Bitsa is a machine. Machines are confusing—they have hearts and breathe. They roar like lion in far-away place called Africa, but then they die and sit silent until they come alive again. Bitsa is alive and not-alive, but not dead. Confusing. Like vampires. I do not understand, but I like Bitsa. Bitsa is not prey either. Bitsa is predator, hunter like Jane. (rolls over and looks at winter sky, paws in air)
Jane was mountain predator, like Beast, but now Jane lives and hunts in New Orleans, in the city Leo Pellissier claims as hunting territory. Leo is a vampire and I want him as mate. He is good, strong hunter with much hunting territory and many prey to feed upon. But Jane does not think Leo is good mate. Jane thinks Ricky-Bo is good mate, but Ricky-Bo cannot mate now. He is sick with were-cat-taint. And Bruiser… (Beast rolls back to paws, thinking.) Bruiser would be good mate, but Jane cannot see this. Jane is confusing, too.
Jane wants me to give five things her fans should bring to her city. Leo’s city. I can count to five. (Shows killing teeth to reader.)
5. Reader must bring own deer. Deer are small here, but are mine. (Starts low growl, deep inside.) Deer here are Beast’s! Beast has claimed hunting ground and deer. (lifts lips in snarl)
4. And rabbits. Reader must bring own rabbits, reader’s own meat and reader’s own prey. Beast will not share except with kits and mate.
3. Reader should bring big rock to sleep on in sun. New Orleans has no rocks. Bring your own rock, so sun will warm it. Or you could use log. But rock is better. (flicks ear and thinks) That is three. (flexes out claws, still thinking)
2. Bring killing claws. Must be able to defend self and mate and kits. Jane uses steel claws, and flying claws that she throws. Jane has longer reach than Beat’s claws, and Jane is good hunter. Jane brings down big prey.
1. Bring killing teeth. To hunt and bring down prey. To defend against vampires. To defend against were-creatures.
I am Beast. Jane will take you dancing. I will take you hunting. (huffs with amusement) Embrace your inner Beast!